Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Midnight Run SHS X/C Team

6-17-2014
12:01am

Well tonight was a pleasant change to the routine.  I was invited to run with SHS 2014/15 Cross Country team as they ran their annual midnight run to kick off their new season.  So, for the first time since Ragnar Cape Cod I pulled out the NB reflective vest, head lamp, and LED back flasher.  I struggled to stay awake during the evening leading up to the run so I as able to tuck in a mid-afternoon nap and then tucked one more in when it got really difficult.  This last nap started at around 10pm and an alarm was set for 11pm.  The team, coaches, teachers, and I all met at the high school by the flag pole. It was fun to already see some students even though school just let out for the summer earlier that day.  I had no idea how long we were running on this trip but I assumed it wasn't going to be much more than 3mi as this was what I had scheduled for my marathon training for the day.  As we got started I launched with Nick E., Steve W., and Bayleigh M.  As usual my first mile had me breathing heavy and seemingly struggle to hold an 8:00ish pace but soon that one mile was put behind be and all was once again strong and fluid running.  I was able to settle into a comfortable pace and breathing cadence.   All in all it was a super fun night to be out again in a social running community.  I think I need to keep that up even though I tend to also enjoy my solo runs. Maybe the best part of the night was spotting Nick E. and Steve W. at McDonalds immediately after the run getting food!  #breakingeven?  Oh yea, it was my first run in my newest pair of shoes.  My New Balance minimus 1010 had arrived just in time.  Wow, what a beautiful pair of 4mm drop road runners, very happy here.

3.5mi
29:45:41mins
8:30P
Shorts, t-shirt, UA visor, NB Vest, head lamp, New Balance M1010
60 degrees
Sanford, ME 04073

No comments:

Post a Comment